Friday, September 16, 2011

Fiona

I will never forget this day for as long as I live!! This morning we went into a high school (not University) to preach the Gospel. The meeting room was packed with over 200 students, and others were outside looking in through the windows as they listened to us share God's Word. Ashley asked the students how many of them were born again; about 25 hands went up. She then shared about the love of God. Mark exhorted the students to study hard and to never give up, but over and above that to 'Fear God' for it is the beginning of wisdom. It was wonderful the way the kids responded to his message. There was a mixed group of Christian and Muslim students. The headmaster said there were 300 present today. The Lord put it on my heart to start by sharing the words of Agur from Proverbs 30, "Who has ascended into heaven, or descended?..What is His name, and what is His Son's name?" Then I shared the gospel from John chapter 3, "You must be born again". At the end we prayed and asked the Lord to come into the hearts of all those who believed His words this day. Finally I asked, "How many of you are born again?" Hands shot up all around the room - Praise God!!

Next, we went back to the church for lunch. Pastor Moses's wife Betty prepared chapati, beans, potatoes, beef, and chicken for us. Moses said we needed strength in order to go and serve. So, we sat under a mango tree and ate together before going to the hospital to minister to the patients there.

The regional hospital has about 250 beds in it -- not enough to serve all the needs. When we arrived, people were lying on the floor because there were not enough beds. As we went through the hospital praying for the people, a little girl caught my eye. Jessica came with me and we went to her. Nicholas, our translator came with us as we went to her bedside. Her aunt was with her, and we asked her what was wrong with the child.
She said the doctors are not sure, maybe malaria? I asked for her name, but she could not speak. The aunt told us that ever since she got sick she has been unable to speak. She told us that her name is Fiona. 
I asked Fiona if she is born again, and the little girl shook her head no. I shared about Jesus and asked her if she would like to ask Him into her heart and be born again; she nodded yes. So we prayed for her salvation, and then we prayed for her healing.

 We left and went outside to serve the patients just outside the door. The line was huge with people holding bowls in which they could collect the food. We served them rice, beef, and mashed banana. We went through several large bins of rice and came to the last of the patients when Nicholas came to me and said the little girl was sitting up in bed asking him if she could come to church on Sunday. I grabbed Jessica, and we went in to see for ourselves. There she was sitting on the edge of her bed talking to her father.  The father thanked us for praying for his daughter.  He then asked me how he could know Jesus. I sat down with him and explained the gospel to him; he prayed for Jesus to come into his heart!! He asked to come to church with his daughter on Sunday, and we told him that he would be most welcome to bring her. Tomorrow I will get him a Bible so he can read it to his daughter Fiona. It is hard for me to explain how I feel right now. I have cried over and over again as I stand in awe of what Jesus did today. Tomorrow we will serve the widows...I cannot wait to see what He has in mind!

"The King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'  Matthew 25:34-36

4 comments:

  1. what an amazing story....love, patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to here what God is doing in Tororo. Please say Hi to Nicholas for me and I hope that he has received the strings, pic-up, and tuner I sent with Virgil and Joy. I pray God continues to work His hand through each of you. May the Lord Bless you all.
    Bret

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an AWESOME testimony Kevin! What a blessing to work so closely along side our Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don’t read too deeply into the whole “Monkey Cage Kurt” thing. I’ll explain it later.

    ReplyDelete