Saturday, September 10, 2011

We are in Uganda!!!

 We are in Uganda! When we arrived on Thursday, we were greeted by over 20 people. They all welcomed us and then insisted that they carry ALL of our baggage. Our ride home was funny, scary, and sad. In Uganda, drivers sit on the right side of the car and you drive on the left side of the road. The roads are FILLED with potholes, so we were bouncing in our seats all the way to the hotel (which is about an hour away from the airport). Shai and I both teased that this was our "Ugandan roller coaster ride." The scary part was that we almost got into a car accident. Thank God for His protecting angels that are surrounding us! The thing that made me sad was the sight of so many lost people, wandering the streets, playing pool, or just sitting on the side of the road. So many people need to know the Love of God.
Life here is very simple. Our first night, we didn't have any electricity! There are also geckos in our room and in the dining room. (Just tonight when I went to take a shower, I found a gecko climbing up the wall in front of me!)(Shai and I named the geckos in the dining room.)
Everywhere we go, people yell "Muzungu! Muzungu!" (which means "white man") One guy, whom I guess has never seen a white person before, even reached through the window and pinched my arm! (It was awkward then, but now I laugh whenever I think about it.)
Last night, we went to Pastor Daniel A.'s church. It was so powerful, and God used our whole team to heal people! It was so exciting! I went back to the hotel astounded at God's great power.
Earlier yesterday, we visited the different ministries of Pastor Daniel's church. We then visited his school. It was so much fun. When we arrived at the school, they sang to us and gave us each a flower bouquet. Afterwards we played with them, talked with them, and danced with them. The kids are all so sweet. One of them, I have to confess, sort-of became my favorite. Her name is Sahara ( I call her "Buddy"). She is about 4 years old, and she is so much fun! We made faces at each other, danced, and laughed. Although she can't speak English, God broke down that barrier and still provided a way for us to have a friendship.
      
                   _____________________________________________________
Today was so much fun! The first thing we did was visit Hope Children's Home (an orphanage). There I met a young girl named Harriet. She led me around the grounds, showing me her school, church, and friends. She was so sweet; she held my hand the WHOLE time, never wanting to let go.I am crying now thinking about the friends I have left behind at the school.
After visiting the orphanage, we went back to the school (also used as the church). I got to see Sahara again! She was so sweet. She fell asleep in my arms... I loved sitting on the bench and holding her. ( I found out today that she is Muslim.) After spending time with the kids, we attended a graduation ceremony for the women who graduated from the seamstress school. During the ceremony, Sahara and I could be seen making faces at each other across the courtyard- oops! (I couldn't help myself; we were doing goofy smiles, sticking out our tongues, and other hilarious faces)(Sahara started it!) I miss her so much!
The other friend I miss is Oscar. He is the man that I prayed for and God used me for his healing on Friday night. He gave me the most precious letter, asking me over and over again to never forget him. I never will.
Saying good-bye to the children was so hard. Shai and I were an emotional mess for the entire hour-and-a-half drive back to the hotel. Every time the names of the kids, or the words "crying" or "tears" were mentioned, Shai and I would burst into tears. We miss those kids so much!
                                                       love, Jessica
P.s. Please be praying for our team. We will be visiting Pastor Jonah tomorrow, and he decided that he wants to split up our team, sending us to different churches to have us preach. Pray that God will give us the courage, boldness, grace, and humility to speak.
P.S.S. Tomorrow after church, Shai and I have a hair appointment. We are getting our hair pleated! Yay!

Looking forward to tomorrow! I will try to be in touch again! Bye and miss you all!
Harriet
Sahara "Buddy"

3 comments:

  1. What a joy Jessica. Thank you for sharing. How God will greatly use this trip in your life forever. Blessings and Love from us all here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy to hear u have made it safely and thank u for sharing your journey...hope to see your new hair do (s)...love aunt patty

    ReplyDelete